Using Pettit Forms
Your Lien Program® is designed to print all of its forms on ordinary 8.5" x 11" single sheet or 8.5" x 11" fanfold (single sheet or multi-part form) paper, and to provide labels for your mailings. But, even with the high speed processing of your forms you still have to fold them, stuff them in envelopes and fill out all of the associated certified mail paperwork. As a high speed alternative, the Lien Program® can use Pettit Manifold Forms to handle the printing of your Pre-Lien Notices and Lien Warning Notices.
If you are doing a large number of Pre-Lien Notices and Lien Warning Notices for a given state, these forms have the decided advantage of being complete in themselves. You just print the mailer and certified return receipt in one operation, so you just pull the forms off of your printer, sign them and mail. You must use a wide carriage dot-matrix type printer, bottom fed preferred, with Pettit Forms. To ease setup and alignment, we also encourage the use of a printer solely devoted to the printing of Pettit forms- save your laser printer for the printing of everything else.
To use Pettit forms, find the starting and ending certified numbers of the form set you are using, enter the starting, current (same as starting) and ending numbers of the block on screen #3 of the System Defaults selection of the Setup Main Menu option, and you are ready to run.
Lien Program® will also print a certified list for your local postmaster to sign and date as proof of your delivery. Print this report after your running your notices from the Certified Mailing List selection of the other forms Main Menu option.
Pettit Form Type: There are presently twelve types of Pettit Forms available for Lien Program®. Types 13, 14, 15 and 60 are currently in use:
1. Type 13: This form is completely and professionally preprinted except for the addresses of the legal parties to be served. These forms require a 5000 form minimum order, and are the most convenient to use. These forms are printed at 10 characters per inch (CPI). The certified number is delivered pre-printed on each form, requiring that you enter a new number set in System Defaults when a new form set is purchased. This type has a green certified Return Receipt card.
2. Type 14: This ‘generic’ form requires more printer time than a Type 13, printing your company name and address, description of services, etc. These forms can be ordered in a 500 form minimum order, and must be printed at 12 (CPI). It is very popular with service resellers. The certified number is delivered pre-printed on each form, requiring that you enter a new number set in System Defaults when a new form set is purchased. This type has a green certified Return Receipt card.
3. Type 15: This ‘generic’ form requires more printer time than a Type 13, printing your company name and address, description of services, etc. These forms can be ordered in a 500 form minimum order, and must be printed at 12 (CPI). It is very popular with service resellers seeking to save costs (no green card). The certified number is delivered pre-printed on each form, requiring that you enter a new number set in System Defaults when a new form set is purchased. This type has no green certified Return Receipt card, and is the shortest dot-matrix form.
4. Type 60: This is the Laser / Inkjet form. It requires that you run the forms twice through your laser printer to print both sides. You simply print one side and insert the paper again to print the other side. It will stay in order. Pre-printed Pettit Laser Forms have become very popular. These 8.5” x 14” forms can be used in all of the 50 states, the 11 Canadian Provinces and all U.S. Territories, and include the certified number information on them, including the Certified Number stamp and green Return Receipt Card. However, a number of companies choose to use a Type 60 form without the green Return Receipt Card, since that does add the green card cost to the cost of a mailing. To use these type of forms go to Page 3 of the Lien Program® Defaults, and check the box under the Pettit Forms options called No Green Card for Type 60 Forms. You can also order plain paper forms for using Arizona First Class mailing. Both form types can be ordered below.
Important: When using forms remember that the current certified number to be printed is the number of the form in the printer, not the form already scrolled out. When preparing to print, to make sure that the green Certified Return card and the Post Office mailing log match your forms, make certain that the current certified number matches the number of the next form to be printed.
Printer Setup: Enter number values here for printer setup strings only for Pettit printers. It is especially useful for commanding the printer to reset to 12 CPI for Type 14 and 15 forms. See Printer Setup Strings, below, for more on entry information and format.
Important: If you choose to use Pettit Forms without the green Return Receipt Card, we strongly urge you to be sure that you use the Post Office Mailing Log as proof of your mailing of your certified letter. If you are using an electronic certified filing system available with many of the newer mailing systems, do not use the green Return Receipt Card at all. You will have to use the 22 digit number certified number system.
If you are printing forms for several different states, the program will pause after the printing of the notices for a particular state to inquire if you need to switch to another state’s Pettit forms or to use plain white paper forms. This allows to you use Pettit forms for the bulk of your work while being able to print additional notices for jobs in states you only occasionally service.
Be sure to set up your Pettit forms in the System Defaults option, Page #3, of the SETUP Main Menu option, following these instructions.
Important: As of June 1, 2001 the following information will apply only to the new Pettit Forms Type 13, 14 and 15:
1) Go to page 3 of the Defaults for the Lien Program® from the SETUP Main Menu option;
2) Check the Use Pettit Forms box;
3) Set the Pettit Form Type to 13 (Pre-printed), 14 (Generic), 15 (Generic, no green Return Receipt card), or 60 (most common, Laser / Inkjet Form, with or without green Return Receipt card. Can also be ordered plain for Arizona Preliminary Notices);
4) Get out your Pettit Forms. Get the starting number at the top of the box and the ending number on the form at the bottom of the box. Write them down;
5) The numbers are in a continuous order, even if it does not look so. Check the top page certified number and the certified number on following page. The numbers seem to be random, right? Now, look at the certified number on the top page, but only the first 19 digits of the number. Do the same for the following page. Now, you can see they are in order, with the 20th digit being a check digit. It is something the USPS uses to make sure numbers are in the correct sequence;
6) In your Lien Program® enter the first 7 digits of your top page certified number in the Certified Prefix field. Note that all the pages have the same prefix, and it is always 7 digits;
7) In your Certified Starting Number field, after the first 7 digits, enter the next 12 digits of the top page certified number. Do NOT enter the 20th digit. Your Lien Program® will calculate that for you;
8) In your Last Certified Number Used field, enter the Certified Starting Number MINUS one. Remember, this number represents the last number printed;
9) In your Certified Ending Number field, after the first 7 digits enter the next 12 digits. Do NOT enter the 20th digit. Your Lien Program® will calculate that for you;
10) Make sure the Use New Coded Cert Nos., Use Return Request and Use Certified Numbers fields are all checked;
11) Go to Page 11 of the Defaults for the Lien Program® and make sure that the Auto-Detect Legal Parties field is checked;
12) You are ready to print your Pettit Forms. You may need to do some manual alignment in your printer to align the form printing.
Another alternative to labels for your mailings are Walz forms, which the Lien Program® uses to print a mailing label, certified sticker and receipt, and a green return receipt card all in one operation, so your paper handling is reduced to the stuffing of envelopes and the attaching of labels and cards. Walz forms print in the same order as you forms print, and will print a Certified Mailing Log for the Post Office to approve.
For ease of use, Walz forms are better than using alone labels and associated stickers and green cards, but are not nearly as fast as using Pettit forms. Another disadvantage of Walz forms is that the cost of use is very near the cost of using Pettit forms, which come of the printer ready to mail. The biggest advantage of Walz forms is for companies that do a number of certified mailings in a number of states, but only a very few each printing run for each individual state, which could make using Pettit forms cost prohibitive.
You use either dot-matrix printers, bottom fed preferred, or laser printers with Walz forms. To ease setup and alignment, we also encourage the use of a printer solely devoted to the printing of Walz forms- save your laser printer for the printing of everything else. Be sure to setup to use Walz forms on Page #3 of the System Defaults selection of the SETUP Main Menu option.
Important: Laser type Walz forms must be printed in 12 CPI mode, either by setting your printer to that mode or sending a printer control string, entered in the Label Printer Setup on page #3 of System Defaults (see Lien Program® Setup, Page #3 section, for more information).
You may inquire about Pettit and Walz forms at:
Pettit Manifold Forms
Attention: Caryl Pettit
P.O. Box 1456
La Canada Flintridge, CA 91012
Nationwide: (800) 420-6767
Local: (626) 798-1682
Fax: (818) 952-3108
Send E-Mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
Created with the Personal Edition of HelpNDoc: Easily create EPub books